Many adoptable dogs and cats are waiting for new homes at the shelter. Requirements for adoption are:
1. Potential adopters must live in Frederick County, Virginia, or adjoining localities in Virginia.
2. Adopters must sign a contract agreeing to spay or neuter the animal. It's the law and all animals adopted from the shelter must be spayed or neutered.
3. The adoption fee is $25, plus a $45 spay/neuter deposit per feline ($65 spay/neuter deposit for canines). Total adoption fee for cats is $70 and $90 for dogs. The fee for animals that have already been neutered or spayed is $25. The spay/neuter deposit is paid to the veterinarian upon proof of spaying or neutering. The shelter is unable to accept credit cards.
4. Other restrictions may apply when adopting certain animals from the shelter.
5. If you own your home, Proof of homeownership will be required as part of the pre-qualification process.
6. If you rent, permission from your landlord will be required (the type of permission shall be determined during the adoption process).
If you are interested in adopting an animal, please feel free to contact the shelter at (540) 667-9192.
Don't see your pet listed? Call the shelter and leave a report!
Owners of lost animals must call the shelter to file a lost report. The list below does not represent all animals at the shelter.
Cairn Terrier, male, young adult, white/tan, 10/11, Stephens City, red collar
Australian Shepherd mix, female, adult, blue merle, 10/12, Mountain Falls, tan collar
The Frederick County Animal Control officers are under the supervision of the county sheriff's department. It is their duty to enforce the Virginia comprehensive animal laws, transport stray animals in Frederick County to the animal shelter, and investigate complaints of animal cruelty and neglect. They may be reached through the sheriff's department at (540) 662-6162. Each year, unwanted animals are destroyed at shelters and humane societies. Please have your pet spayed or neutered and help prevent this tragedy.
Dog tag information can be found on the Frederick County Treasurer's site: http://taxes.co.frederick.va.us/payments/treasurer/treasurer_dog_tags.aspx.