Middletown Volunteer Fire Company:
In 1942, Middletown Fire Company was started for
the town of Middletown. The Middletown Fire Company was chartered on April 27,
1942 -- the second fire company in Frederick County. The action to organize a
fire company was inspired by a devastating fire that year on Main Street. The
blaze nearly destroyed the entire block where the Wayside Theatre and the Fire
Department now stand. The company was soon created, with an initial membership
of 22 volunteers. Howard Shull was the Fire Chief and the President was George
R. Clarke. Middletown's first fire truck was a used 1937 GMC open-cab pumper,
purchased from Woodstock Fire Department. It was housed in a garage located at
7751 Main Street.
In 1943 the company moved to a garage attached
to the Middletown Town Hall, located at 7875 Church Street. In 1948 the
firefighters purchased their first new truck, an Oren pumper on a Ford Chassis,
which cost only $4,000. Today Middletown Fire and Rescue Company has ten
vehicles: Engine, Tanker, Rescue Engine, Attack, Ambulance 12-1, Ambulance 12-2,
Chiefs Mobile, Mobile, and ATV. The most recent purchase is the 2004 Ford F450
Diesel 6.0L 4x4 Ambulance. A new attack is on order. Between 1948 and 2003 the
cost of a new truck has risen from $4,000 to $425,000..
In August 1943 the Auxiliary was formed.
Throughout its history, the Auxiliary has been an invaluable part of Company 12,
raising tens of thousands of dollars to support the fire and rescue service.
Their spring and fall Turkey/Oyster Suppers draw hundreds of people. The
Auxiliary trailer is known for the excellence in food service at auctions and
other events throughout the area, and the annual Christmas Bazaar (the first
Saturday in November) is always a great success.
The Town Hall garage served as the fire station
for nine years, but the company continued to grow, and in 1952 the Middletown
Fire Department moved into a new building on land donated by Carlton D. Harris.
Rescue Operations were added in June 1952, and the company bought a 1948
International panel truck as its first rescue vehicle. Today the Rescue service
has two ambulances, the last purchased in 2004 for $124,000.
In the late 1960's the company adopted its
present name, Middletown Volunteer Fire and Rescue Company, Inc. In its more
than 50 years of service, the company has had only five chiefs and nine
presidents. In 1986, Middletown Fire and Rescue was the first company in
Frederick County to recognize the need to hire paid personnel to attain the
quality of its daytime service. Because of Company 12's foresight, initiative
and leadership, Frederick County soon established an Emergency Services
In 1992, the Middletown Volunteer Fire and
Rescue Company celebrated its 50th anniversary of service to the community with
the dedication of a building addition which more than doubled the size of the
station. The $600,000 project afforded a new community hall and kitchen, garage
space for fire and rescue vehicles, offices, a day room and new bunkrooms.
Thanks to the dedicated support of our community, the Middletown Volunteer Fire
and Rescue Company along with the Auxiliary have been able to maintain a
consistently high level of service for more than five decades.