The spay/neuter deposit is in addition to the spayed/neutered fee and is paid to the veterinarian upon proof of spaying or neutering. Animals that are already neutered or spayed do not require a deposit.
Many adoptable dogs and cats are waiting for new homes at the shelter. Requirements for adoption are:
- Potential adopters must live in Frederick County, Virginia, or adjoining localities in Virginia.
- Adopters must sign a contract agreeing to spay or neuter the animal. It's the law and all animals adopted from the shelter must be spayed or neutered.
- If you own your home, proof of homeownership will be required as part of the pre-qualification process.
- If you rent, permission from your landlord will be required (the type of permission shall be determined during the adoption process).
- Other restrictions may apply when adopting certain animals from the shelter.